Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Battle with the bossman

So I had this thing to install, pipe to, and wire up for work and I had a great idea that was quick, easy, and would look pretty good.  Guess what happens when I bring this idea up?  He tells me his idea is easier and cheaper, keep your eye on the latter, it's the driving factor.  It's also the same reason our company power tools are about as old as I am.  So I am to believe his crackpot idea when his math has worked out about as well as a midnight stroll through a minefield with a welding mask on.  He undershot our phone wire by about 10,000 feet or so.  Anyway, I explain the amount of space I have and the fact I am using 4" metal pipe to do this and how much it actually can bend in a given amount of space, he tells me just to do it.  

    A few days later I put in my order for pipe and request for a bender, which of course is too expensive for us to have so I order pre-bent 90's and 45's to use.  It soon becomes apparent to me that holy shit, it won't work, when you cut more than a few inches off these pieces of pipe they lose the angle and after a certain point even cutting on an angle doesn't work because your halfway through the bend on the fucking pipe!  I show him this and he still tries to talk around it for a couple minutes.  Finally he stops and see's it past the bend and realizes I am very close to just cutting the damn pipe and then he won't be able to return it and caves.  

    Now my stuff is being ordered and I have to wait for it to come in, so then I can be behind schedule again.  Although the drywallers are holding me up on the other half of my shit so I guess I can somehow do a fucking engineer's job and try to figure out how to calculate shit people spend years in school and make a fuck-ton more money than I do to do.  But hey, I couldn't wait to get off unemployment, that was boring as fuck, but so much less stressful.  

    And practice was cancelled for tonight and it's supposed to rain... 

No comments:

Post a Comment